Once upon a time, in a ‘verse far far away (how’s that for a mixed-bag of references!), this blog had many readers. Now – and this is just a rough guess – anything I post pop-ups (and rather unexpectedly I imagine!) in the RSS feeds of about 12 people… most of whom will have no memory of adding me in the first place.
Fair enough. This is the sort of thing that happens when you take a blogging hiatus… vacation… well, really I just quit this blog altogether. Back in 2010, between 4 kids and a very busy corporate job, I found myself spread too thinly and eventually forgot why I was blogging here in the first place.
Over the years I thought about coming back and taking up the blogging mantle once again – I would think of grand ideas to explore, articles I wanted to write… but thinking about adding another time commitment always managed to cool the jets.
But life changes. I walked away from corporate (don’t worry – I kept the four kids!) and spent the past year doing pretty much nothing (a very broad generalization), and now find myself with more time than commitments for the first time since… well, in a very long time.
So, “Myself…” I says, “It may be time to start thinking about getting back to writing.
Everybody has a couple of things hidden away in that secret little thought garden inside their souls – you know, the thing, or things you ‘always wanted to do/see/visit’ right? I think most people hold these dreams to close and spend most, if not all of their lives never pursuing them actively. Some people get lucky and fall into some job that vaguely resembles their dream, but very few people truly have the courage to step up and chase their dreams.
I had two (if you don’t count Astronaut and Fireman – both of which still sound like fun!):
- My first and oldest dream has always been storytelling. An avid reader since before most kids even knew how to say their alphabets, I wanted to be a writer since before I knew I needed to grow up and get a job in the first place.
- My second dream has always been to be an entrepreneur. Now, even being an avid reader, I had no idea what entrepreneurship meant when I was young, but I did know this: My father, a corporate executive, was mostly miserable and rarely home, while a couple of very wealthy friend of his, each of whom owned several businesses, were jolly, owned huge houses and many cars and toys. This left a pretty clear impression on my 7 year old self.
Unfortunately, I grew up shy. An introvert with grand dreams and a complete lack of self-confidence – You know that little voice in the back of everyones head that likes to whisper sweet nothings in your ear like: “You are not good enough for this…”? Yeah, well, that force was strong with this one and looking back I know I have missed some great opportunities because of it.
But every day is a new chance, a new opportunity to do right, do more, chase your dreams.
That is largely what I have been doing over the past year. Catching up with family time, and delving deeply into the dream well – trying to reset, or re-establish who I am, what I want, and why I’m here.
I’ve been truly lucky to have had the time, this opportunity.
So here’s the New Me, which is basically the old me, or rather the original me since I’m older now… But with more focus, more passion, and more energy (it’s amazing what you find when chasing dreams) – or for short: More FPE… which doesn’t actually sound all that great so never mind.
But to chase dreams effectively, you need a plan, otherwise it becomes too easy to fall victim to that little voice in the back of your head telling you to give up, go home, and watch some TV.
So, without any further ado, (but a fair amount of preamble) here it is, my goals for myself, and this blog in 2014:
- Start a business that can support myself and my family (underway – but more on that later)
- Write. Write often, write well, but: write, write, write.
- Try to convince more people to trust their passions & chase their dreams
- Explore the nature of dreams… actually, really just the act of chasing them!
- Explore tools and mindsets (just another tool right?) that help
- Explore methods for getting it all done
- Talk about starting & running a business
- Talk about writing
I may also talk about photography – another passion – and life in general – hey! with 4 kids, ‘life in general’ is often at the forefront of my thoughts! - from time to time, but I’ll try to keep it relevant to the above goals.
Thanks for visiting and don’t forget to change the world on your way out!